We are very excited about our new independence! We know you may have questions about what this means for you and your membership. We have tried to answer some of those questions in a little FAQ section below. Please feel free to reach out to us via email at babywearingCT@gmail.com or Facebook with any additional questions. Thank you for all of your understanding and support during this transition time!
- Our name, logo, email, social media names and Amazon Smile link
- (You already know our new name: Babywearing Connecticut but you may also see us referred to by the acronym BWCT)
- Membership dues and money raised through fundraisers stay 100% local
- Our Website (but the old one will forward to the new one!)
- Our ability to address and act on topics of inclusivity and diversity
What’s Not Changing
- Membership, costs and availability of scholarships
- Meetings and meeting locations
- Our carriers, lending libraries and MyTurn inventory website
- Volunteer and organization insurance
What are the benefits to Babywearing Connecticut Inc being independent?
- All money collected from memberships, donations and fundraisers will stay within our local group and be used for new carriers for the library, insurance to protect our carriers and volunteers, and local outreach.
- We have control over how we want things to run and the direction of our group!
Purpose of Babywearing Connecticut
The purpose of the organization is:
- to build the bond between babies and caregivers through baby carrier education and support;
- to provide a community education service and distribute baby carriers to individuals and other organizations for their use; and
- to celebrate babywearing among caregivers through online and in-person gatherings.
Q: How will becoming an independent organization affect my membership status?
A: Your Babywearing International membership will still be honored by Babywearing Connecticut, as an independent group, until it was originally set to expire (plus an additional 2 months for our group wide freeze to re-organize). There will be no changes to the benefits of your membership.
Q: Will the cost of membership change in the future?
A: Annual memberships through Babywearing Connecticut will continue to be $30 and one time monthly memberships will continue to be $5. The one month membership will have the ability to be rolled into an annual membership.
We will be adding an additional membership category called VIP which will cost $60 and include one in home visit by a Babywearing Connecticut educator and an annual membership.
Babywearing Connecticut will retain 100% of membership dues which we will be able to invest back into our organization and local community; previously, 30% of membership dues were sent to the parent organization, Babywearing International.
We cannot guarantee that membership costs will not change in the future. We will, however, always have scholarships available if the cost of a membership is a barrier to anyone who wishes to become a member.
Q: Will meeting locations or dates/times change?
A: No, we intend to continue all meetings as currently scheduled; meetings will continue to be subject to volunteer and location availability.
Q: Will meeting format change?
A: No, meeting format will continue to allow people to come and go as they wish while still receiving the same great care and support they have received in the past. If anything, you will notice that meetings will become more inclusive and welcoming as we operate as an independent babywearing group.
Q: Will there be any changes to carriers or lending libraries?
A: No, all assets of Babywearing International of New Haven have been transferred to Babywearing Connecticut. You will still be able to try on and check out the same great carriers that you have come to know and love in our lending libraries!
Q: Babywearing International of New Haven had insurance through Babywearing International – will there be insurance as an independent group?
A: Yes – Babywearing Connecticut has liability and loss insurance policies, and our volunteers and lending libraries will continue to be covered for liability and loss insurance going forward.
Q: Babywearing International of New Haven remitted 30%+ of income from membership and fundraisers to Babywearing International. How does that change as an independent group?
A: Income from membership and fundraisers will stay 100% in our local community since we will no longer have oversight from a national organization. We are really excited for the possibilities this presents to our group! For example, we will be able to put more funds towards our lending libraries or towards community outreach and carriers we can donate to local groups and individuals.
Since we are no longer affiliated with Babywearing International, our group becomes eligible for more grants as an independent group, widening our ability to obtain funding.
Q: Will there still be a Facebook group?
A: Yes, we have renamed the existing Facebook group, and we will continue to provide the same support there as we always have.
Q: Will there still be a Facebook page?
A: Yes, we will continue to post important topics and announcements on our Facebook page and update the events tab there with meetings and other events.
Q: Will your website change?
A: YES! Our new website will be www.BabywearingCT.org but the old address will automatically forward you to our new page.
Q: How can I get in touch with you if I have questions?
A: We always have an open door. You can email babywearingCT@gmail.com or message our Facebook Page at any time.